Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Holy Snikees! Cobia wins!

Ok I will try to catch you guys back up on my end!  Thanks to everyone for coming back and fishing time and time again!!  I am especially sorry to the Yowell crew for taking them to debacleville! We ran forty miles to find the big ones and well tore up the clutch and spent three hours getting to know everyone better bobbing waiting for a tow! Thanks to Capt Amanda for running down and picking these guys up and taking them home. Ouch!  Buddy called said he was casting on a pack of 12 off pea island ?!! Ouch ouch,  getting towed at 14knots all alone in the tower listening to tunes I figured if I see one over 60 I would cast.  Ten minutes in tow gigantor super soaker cobia swimming south.  85 lb pluser easy.  Toss the meat hog Carolina flair jig in green goblin and she turns but does not take so bail open tap tap freespool repeatedly tap tap.  Hold spool jig planes in wake she comes hot free spool feel her  grab it, no freaking way.  Half palm spool set hook, she shamoos up in the air seventy yards back still going 14 knots , close spool fillet chunk of meat off thumb because braid slices me bad with all the tension.   Cheering my ass off I wave at spotter tow boat guy to slow down he tells driver to slow, 200 yards gone.  Still stoked!  Comes off plane. Fish going bonkers. We drift to a stop. 300 yards gone.   Please for the love of God!!! Turn around!  400.  I then realize I am gonna get dumped I can toss over a 1000 dollar saltiga over and hook to another rod but still don't think this boat is gonna ever turn around for me. 500 yards.  Held the rod to the butt zing pow bye bye gigantor:(. ;((( ouch ouch ouch!  Tow guy says wow must of been a big bonito!  I smile and say no it was a big cobia we will get the next one. I really was not sad cause I was stoked I got to see and hook her! So if you see gigantor with a green goblin meathog jig in her mouth splice into the braid and get her alongside and let her go she derserves it.  I always think of a quote a great fisherman taught me years ago when I was young and green and really did not know even how to gaff a tuna.  Rick Caton on the free agent hired me as a deck hand to green stick tuna.  Charter trips had slowed.  It was great tuna biting whole nine yards. He showed me a dehooker taught me to gaff.  I still laugh when this biggest yellowfin I have ever seen 98 lbs at the fish house with no guts or head is splashing on the 500 lb leader behind the transom and he is yelling at me gaff it gaff it , and I can't because the fish is throwing water in my face.  He then yells you gaff like a pussy!  I turn the fish and hit it true!!!  We troll into the night and the moon pops up lighting up the night! He is ready to quit cause it's dark ready for dinner. I ask if we can keep going for a bit longer. Wow they keep biting the stick in the dark!  We catch till exhausted and stop for the night.  He says "in fishing you never say never and never say always" still stoked we got em in the dark.  This brings me to the time when I said to a buddy years ago, I would never get spooled by a cobia.  Well that's twice now.  The other time I will save for another day sorry for the rambling post but just wanted to share that one with ya! And thanks Harry for getting me home safe!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment