Pages

Monday, February 1, 2010

Good as it gets!










Fished today with the Slaughter party. It was fitting. Not sure if the ocean would be fit today but it was! The seas were calm. We got on a mega school of linesiders and jigged up fish all day long! Saw whales as well. The gannets were a big pain today. There were so many birds around we caught and released 6 of them. Was not sure what the limit on gannets were but figured you can't keep anything else these days so we let them go as well. Fish averages around 14-20lbs today with 38,40 and 48 being the biggest of the bunch. The majority of the fish we landed using 7 inch shads on 10lb mono and 20lb braid. Cannot say we landed a 100 but at least 25 fish a piece. Don tossed out a heck of a compliment that was the best fishing he had seen in 57 years. Next time we go who knows maybe not even bite but you never know till ya go! Only bummer to the day would of been the 7 trawlers gettin there's too. Thanks fellas. Wish I had a trip tomorrow so I could go whack em again.

5 comments:

  1. Looking great. Maybe someone will call after reading your post. I will post on my blog and facebook page (fish anyway you can) maybe that can bring in a fishing party for you.I enjoy your site. Keep them coming over the gunnel. Tight lines Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. MAN THESE TRAWLERS ARE PISSING ME OFF,I DONT UNDERSTAND THE RULES,I UNDERSTAND EVERYONE HAS TO MAKE A LIVING,MY BUDDY IS A COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN AND HE CAN ONLY KEEP 7 ROCK A DAY.I JUST DONT GET IT AND I PROBABLY NEVER WILL.SORRY FOR MY ATTITUDE BUT I THINK TRAWLERS SHOULD BE BANNED HECK MOST PROB. AINT EVEN AMERICANS.YOU CAUGHT ANY OR SEEN ANY BLUEFISH YET?HA HA I WAS JUST JOKING WITH YA ABOUT THE BIRDS AND NOW LOOK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep sad day in mudville. No recreational fishing just a few boats here and there, nothing for the beach netters only discards for the dropnetters. Released all our fish yesterday as the floorsweepers mopped them up. Yes in 2010, 2010 our resource is being squandered for money and greed at an already unsustainable level. Nothing wrong if they kept there 100 and went on but that clearly is not the case. I saw one boat slam them, stoping his rig net floaing up all. Dump onboard and put out again. 800 fish tows. This is year round. Yep it happens every day all summer up North. So as there are recreational "task" forces being assembled to enforce no fishing at all outside three miles my o my what a free country we live in.
    Well I guess I can go enjoy catching weakfish, wait ther are not any of those left, maybe spot, nope, flounder, ha ha ha ha!
    A Coast Guard dc 10 can see my plummers crack unhooking a fish 15 miles away day or night. I guess they do not "want" to catch them.
    You know it is getting bad when even the commercial guys bitch about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comes down to greed!!!! Just like them patrolling the fence picking on the recreational guys. Catch one ,two or three boats and right tickets worth X amount when they could stop one Trawler that is pulling in hundreds of fish and make X + Y + Z but that is too simple for them to figure out. As with most things in our goverment no common sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Give the guys a poundage limit instead of a number, easier for them and easier on the resource. Maybe that could work?

    ReplyDelete