Pages

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Bloody Friday!!!!!!









The perfect storm formed up for the best cobia fishing I have ever seen ever by far in my life. Arch told me of a "bloody Sunday"(92ish?) in Destin Fla. when cobia showed like no other. Those guys down there are insane cobia fishermen. Do not go down there with your chest poked out because it will get poked back in. Till you get the groove. A fantastic fanatical cobia mecca for any cobia fisherman. Guys hope the oil does not get ya.
North Carolina...
Thursday am getting top portion of the tower (aka getto tower) re-welded by Kelly since we stressed a couple spots in Destin. Got rigged back up(Thx Kevin) Fished the afternoon with four nice gentlemen around Oregon-Inlet and had a great afternoon casting double jigs landed nice fat taylor bluefish. Thanks guys and see you guys next year!
The calls stated to trickle in about cobia starting to show off Ocracoke and Portsmouth Island. I had my slip already lined up in Hatteras and the next day I was ready to get in position just like I have for many past seasons. I could not find a trip. Tried quite a few good cobia guys but nobody could get away from work etc. Finally ole Hunter friend, client, and my accountant with Wilford and Associates of Chesapeake nutted up and decided it was time for a last minute ehh consultation. Get this, at the dock at 5:30 am yep thats right off at six heading downsea in a 10-15knot northeast wind just shakin our heads how brown cracked out we are. 37 miles south later we turned the corner after running in 62-64 degree water we headed west down into the "hook" of Buxton. I hopped downstairs to get eels whatever rigged up (ha ha) and Hunter yelled at Capt Slacktor theres 8-14 cobia right next to the boat! He hooked up and after getting rigged up I hooked one myself! Then we noticed hey theres a couple over there and a pack of five over here, oh boy we are in the meat!!! Our cracked out accomplice Kevin called bummin wondering where we were and what we had seen even though it was not even 8. I said at this time we have landed 6 seen many more and we have not been here 30 minutes, you better get here. Well at 10 I get the call of our crazed buddy on the beach in his truck swimming out to us to get on the boat!!! At this point Hunter and myself had landed 22 kept four and released the rest. We rode by two singles, and a pack of four not casting just to pick up his butt! He hopped on and immediately we saw a pack of 10 and another pack of 15 we tried to start to not cast to fish and only cast at the fifty plusers. Well you try to hook the one or two 50 plus pound fish when there are 12 other hungry 30 lbers in there! We fished laughed pulled and tugged all day! At one point when we were pulling on a triple I looked back at the 15-20 boats in the area fishing and every boat was stopped and hooked up to fish!!! We worked with the fish to the west as the day progressed in the 67.5-70 degree water easing off Frisco pier. Arms locked up hands bloody from wrestling with cobia releases and backs sore we had to get Kevin back to his truck to swim in. We lost two dehookers, broke my favorite rod in half, and lost a few jigs but damn we caught some fish! All casting jigs no eels or anything. Every boat did, heck skiffs with no towers caught 10-15 fish! It was a once in a lifetime experience, if you love cobia fishing. No going in early just keep fishing beacuse there are so many days you fish all day for just a shot or two. We did not take it for granted. We decided to call it after we soaked just watching a pod of 22 fish 30-45lbs. We landed a pair out of that and headed home. Pull up the Rutgers satellite shot and look at the wall that was set up for it! Buddies asked me how many did you see and I can only say 400+. We brought six to the gaff up to 67lbs and released 66, which shatters my old record. 72! 72! 72 cobia brought to the gaff or dehooker in one day three guys. Wish I would of had a mate and four more guys crankin so we could of caught so many more but then again it was perfect! Did not see any 100lbers but saw a few 75 lbers. I heard a 80lber caught (pretty work Casey) Fish ranged from 15-75lbs with 30-35lbs being the norm. The only thing we pulled up short on was the lack of pics and vid clips but honestly we were too busy.
This is not casting at dinks and counting pulled off fish. It is not that we were so great but that there were absolutely so many fish present. Thanks to Cato of the Free Agent for helping with the day before heads up call!!! You deserved this day as much as anyone, but you will always get yours! You are a good friend. And thanks God for giving me the few real friends I have to fish and confide with and blessing us with this day and if Heaven is anything like this I swear I will quit drinking!!!

5 comments:

  1. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!WISH KIM &I COULD BE THERE FOR THAT,, NOBODY DOES IT BETTER THAN YOU,, KARMA YOU LIVE A GOOD HONEST LIFE AND GOOD THINGS HAPPEN,,SAVE A FEW OF THEM FOR US!! YOU WILL FILL YOUR BOOKINGS THE REST OF THE WAY UP NOW,,ROCK ON BUDDY WE WILL SEE YOU WHEN WE CAN,, HILLBILLY AND WIFE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hillbilly it was really a one in a thousand day, glad I could be a part of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Hillbilly it was really a one in a thousand day, glad I could be a part of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaron I would like to thank you and Hunter for allowing me to spend this blessed day with you . You can call me crazy or cracked out but I can name quite a few guys that would have loved to swim out to fish with you.Its great to have friends like you that share the same amount of passion for cobia and creating postive cobia carma. Thank you lord !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will def be the "Let me tell you about this one day," story my grand kids get to hear.

    I think I laughed as hard as we fished and that makes it all the more enjoyable.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete