Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

Trawling Debacle

As many of you guys know by reading and seeing the news there was a big striper kill off the outer banks NC.  Thousands of fish found floating dead or dying. No pollution or anything of that nature.   A trawler thought it would be a great idea to drag through  the fish on a busy holiday weekend with disregard to the 150-250 rec boats fishing the area along with many charter captains.  He needed his 50 fish to sell and killed countless others to get them. Farmer of the sea?  He broke no law.  But damn what a stupid law.  So the law was quickly revised to allow a poundage instead of a number quota.  This has been going on for years and years, just nobody seemed to care until this particular day when it was rammed up everyones ass.  I fortunately missed this mishap because this day we were fishing South.  However I did get to see four plus miles of floating and sinking stripers just the day before.  This trail was not witnessed by as many and did not seem to have much affect.  I have also heard of a few other instances just this winter.  Yep this day and age, utter waste and greed seem to hold the future of striped bass populations tettering.   The commercial catch quotas seem to be valid to me it just seems extremely odd no matter how much freight goes up the road the quota never gets filled.  Three winters I whined about the "last buffalo"  well maybe "we" can get it right. 
Try to get you more info as it comes along the pipe.  I have had close to fifty calls for concerned clients, fisherman, and people trying to make the right calls.  I will update as needed because this is not my area of expertise and right now I am not sure who to tell ya to call, or who you can call to make a difference. 

1 comment: