Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Last Buffalo

A gentleman once asked me "how can you guys stomach that crap rammed down your throat everyday?"  He was referring to us as charter guys watching as are livelihoods being ruined by a select few. Everyone is scared to make waves.  The utter waste that has been going on for years and has to stop.  The indiscriminate gear is on the verge of putting a natural resource to it's knees and is ruining the lives of  of many watermen.  This hurts the charter industry, the recreational industry, the honest commercial watermen trying to eek out a living.  It burns me to the core to watch this destruction.  It blows my mind that so many do nothing...nothing.  This is not a time to stick out your chest and brag about how great your fishing is and turn your back on the real problems at hand.  You know better.  And do nothing.  Well if we undergo another moratorium on stripers then you will complain, but it's gonna be too late.  I do not like to get into the politics of fisheries but we are forced to.
The 3rd of Feb we tried to fish but could not get out across the rough bar.  We then noticed hundreds of discarded dead or dying stripers.  We went back to the dock bummed about what we had seen.  I did not even know but my guys went over to the coast guard house and complained.  Nothing could be done.  Other boats that did make it into the ocean saw what was said to me to be worse "than the couple days back in January."  There are even some helicopter shots.  I will try to get some up there for you.  Thirty charter boats the next day got skunked. Interesting. This picture is from last night from a lady beachcoming and stopped counting at 90 decomposing rock on the beach. Four seasons ago I made a "last buffalo" post trying to bring some light to this topic. I will try to post some contact info for anyone interested.  I know there is a meeting open for public hearing coming up soon, so maybe this can shed some light on this debacle.  What is right is right.
Well the fishing has starting to pick back up and boats are catching again so not all is lost...



8 comments:

  1. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO HELP YOU FIGHT THIS SENSELESS KILLING OF STRIPPERS??? SOMEONE I CAN WRITE TO , TO VOICE MY OPION ON THIS?? JUST GIVE ME AN ADDRESS AND I WILL HAVE A LETTER IN THE MAIL VERY SOON.. I MAYBE 600 MILES AWAY AND IN 2 FEET OF SNOW , BUT KIM & I DO CARE !!!! WE HAVE BEEN GOING TO THE OUTER BANKS FOR 17 YEARS AND LOVE TO FISH AND WE HATE TO SEE THESE FISH BEING KILLED AND LEFT TO ROT!!! HILLBILLY

    ReplyDelete
  2. The commission meets Feb. 10 and 11 at the Clam Digger Inn, 511 Salter Path Road, Pine Knoll Shores. The meeting is open to the public and public comment periods are set for 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 10 and 8:15 a.m. Friday, Feb. 11.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will keep you guys abreast of the situation. I will let you know what contact numbers to call when I know which ones could actually make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is pretty ill Aaron. The one time in January was bad enough....really, AGAIN? I think the fact of the next days skunk says more than enough. What did they all do, go out to the 3 1/2 mile mark to hide? I am very interested to see what the spring brings us up here in Iceland of Delaware. I can only hope their total disregard for the fish doesn't have the vast impacts that are possible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Sorry bout your Stillerz!My wife and i went up there Friday to a bustling, romproarin city It was very quiet up there after that game! First the fish, then the game.....Man, at least the Cobia r right around the corner!Maybe this year will be my year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yep been on a roll here, now they are talking about reducing the cobia limit. Well maybe something will be done to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gonna be a big news cast on wavy 10 around 5:45. Supposed to be getting all kinds of sides of the story. Should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post Capt.Kelly I SEE A FEW OF YOU STANDING UP FOR YOU LIVELY HOOD AND IM VERY PROUD YOU HAVE DONE SO.opps sorry caps i suck at typing.I have emailed dmf numerous times over the past few years about trawling and what they do but you no what the blind man says,i see nothing.well i hope there eyes are open now and they get this slapped in there face over and over until trawling is banned from nc waters.

    ReplyDelete